Monday, August 30, 2010

Call of Duty

So, I am a mother and a mother is usually over protective and over concerned and over the top, etc.............. Victor , who is 15 and a half (if I forget the half he gets upset) is playing quite a bit of Call of Duty, a horrible bloody game with lots of shooting. I hate this type of games because they are violent and I am not really sure how much of this he internalizes. Does he differentiates between real and virtual? He gets extremely upset when he looses, as if his very existence depends on him winning. All I hear is him screaming "are you kidding me?" or 'That's a lie". I don't see him enjoying the strategy of the game, if there is one.............. On top of that, Victor has a temper which has gotten much better of the years but is very much there.

3 years ago I prohibit him to play Grand Theft Auto LA because I saw a scene of a person kicking another person while he was on the ground, not to mention the language. He got that as a present and I got rid of it. I told him, no Mature games. Now he is playing COD, another M game and I am not sure what to make of it. He is 15 and impressionable. I don't worry about these games being Milli-tainment as much because he has no tendencies to enlist but I do worry about the violence.

Everything is a battle with him, of course being a teen and boy and temperamental, we are always on a heated discussion about something. Right now we are arguing over the fact that he is getting his license but I am not letting him drive by himself across town to school. On that one, I am firm and have no doubts. On the game thing, I am not sure which way to go. Let him play or take away from him. Any takers?

2 comments:

  1. Rachel and her parents would like to point out that while a lot of violent people play violent video games, the percentage of people who play violent video games and become violent is much less. That is, it is safer to infer that a violent person likes violent video games than to infer that Victor will become violent by playing these games.

    Furthermore, while Grand Theft Auto had hookers and drug lords and racist violence in it, Call of Duty is only rated M because the blood spatters are made to be very realistic.

    I would let him keep playing. Yes, he has a temper, but Victor isn't the type to misdirect anger. (only the kind who will defend himself a bit over-enthusiastically at times.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Se, a sua preocupação quanto a estes jogos é totalmente compreensível. Eu mesma ficava a mil pensando estas mesmas coisas ou seja quanto eles assimilariam daquelas cenas de violencia e quanto encorporariam daquilo como seu próprio ccomportamento. No entanto foi conversando com Xande e Mille que fiquei mais tranquila. Vitor é um menino muito tranquilo e muito maduro para a idade dele. Claro que nosso papel de mães zelosa é vigiar e direcionar, mas não fique nesta nóia . Confie no que você tem ensinado a ele todos estes anos.

    ReplyDelete